The leadership paper should be no longer than 7 pages, double-spaced, APA 7th edition format. The paper is based on the following:
You are to select and view ONE of the below movies:
1. Schmidt, A. (Producer), Wallace, R. (Director). (2002). We Were Soldiers [Motion Picture]. United States: Paramount.
2. MacDonald, L. (Producer), Scott, R. (Director). (2000). Gladiator [Motion Picture]. United States: Dreamworks & Universal Pictures.
3. Field, F. (Producer), & Zwick, E. (Director). (1989). Glory [Motion Picture]. United States: Sony Pictures.
Or TV series:
4. The Office, US version (you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference).
5. MASH (you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference).
6. House, MD (you may use one or more episodes, just make sure to properly cite the reference). I highly encourage you to use this series, it has numerous excellent examples.
A. After viewing the movie or TV show, select one of the supervisors (leaders).
B. Discuss THREE supervisory techniques that they used, using specific examples from the movie or TV episode. Do not spend too much effort explaining the background or details of the scenario, just get to the point.
C. Make sure to discuss the following topics:
i. Which of the supervisory techniques were effective? Why?
ii. Which supervisory techniques were not effective? Why?
iii. Pick one scene and discuss what you would have done differently as a supervisor and why.
iv. How does a high-stress environment like war or the emergency room affect supervisory techniques, as compared to peacetime (or a less stressful environment)?
v. What supervisory trait do you most relate to and why? You should include a personal account from your life.
vi. Why do supervisors fail if they are using a “textbook” technique? Explain using the scenes from the movie/show or your own personal life to enhance your explanation.
If you have already seen the movie or TV show episode, you may “skim” it to refresh yourself.
If you do not want to watch any of the above movies or TV shows, you must email me by week 6 for an alternate assignment. Here are some ideas for alternate assignments:
Alternate topics include Leaders in the News; Corporate Leadership Failures/Successes and/or Government Failures/Successes, Leaders in Politics, Visionary Leaders.
You should have a title page, some pages of body content, and the last page should be your paper’s references. If you have a title page and reference page that leaves you with 5 pages for body.
Use at least 3 references for your paper. They should be articles that support your paper.
Your paper should contain no more than 20% direct citations or quotations. That means 80% should be your own analysis, thoughts, and ideas.
Please do not wait until the end of week seven to ask if you have questions about the assignment.
For my paper I will be doing House, MD. House is one of my favorite shows of all time. I think the character House is the perfect character for the topic of Leadership. I consider him a excellent leader even though he comes off very aggressive in his approach, but also think he very misunderstood.
****Here the outline for my paper:****
Intro: What makes a leader and what are traits that make leader
Trait #1- Delagation
Trait #2- Critical thinker
Trait #3- Self confidence
Conclusion: Why I think House is a great leader