The exam is an essay on a core issue in current American politics: Immigration.
The essay should be a maximum of 1000 words.
Explain the conservative and liberal positions on Immigration, grounded in the elements of each ideology.
We have focused on the concepts of identity, values, and ideology.
Each can be used to explain how conservatives/Republicans and liberals/Democrats think about this issue.
Choose several key elements we have discussed and explain how they account for the beliefs and attitudes about immigration. Consider these elements:
– National identity
– Consensus values (liberty and equality)
– Conflictual values (individualism versus collectivism)
– Premises (what is true?)
– Core values (what is good?)
– Core question (what is the problem?)
– Branches (what is the solution?)