Autodesk Simulation Moldflow Insight (ASMI) is an advanced software for simulating, analysing, optimising and validating plastics parts and mould design for injection moulding process. The project involves undertaking the warpage and shrinkage analysis of a given plastic part for different cooling channel designs in the mould using the Autodesk Simulation Moldflow Insight (ASMI) 2014 software located in your computer lab.
Select any appropriate plastic part preferably with curved geometry, which can be injection moulded. Select a project partner, and then inform the Unit Convenor about the details of the part and the names of your group partners by e-mail within the first two weeks of the semester.
The project work involves the following main tasks:
(1) Select a small size plastic part which can be injection moulded. Select the material of the part.
(2) Create the CAD model of the selected plastic part using any CAD system.
(3) Using ASMI software, perform the Cool+fill+pack+warp analysis on the part.
(4) Carry out a comparative analysis of effect of cooling system configuration on the warpage and shrinkage of the plastic part, with the aim of determining which cooling configuration will provide minimum cycle time (time to reach ejection temperature) and minimum warpage. You will need to create a few different cooling system configurations for the part including the conformal cooling channel type to compare the results.
(5) Other analyses useful to achieve the objective may include optimum gate location analysis, minimisation of air traps, weld lines, sink marks etc.
Assume all appropriate dimensions of the part of your choice (in SI units), and use appropriate processing conditions for the AMI analysis.
Project Report: The group project report in hard copy and a soft copy should be well documented and submitted by the due date and must include the following information:
? Introduction and Objective: Reasons and aims for the analysis.
? Part Model: Detailed description with images; which type of mesh (Mid-plane, Fusion, Midplane) chosen and why; any modification needed to the model to run the analysis.
? Materials: The materials used in the analysis and any properties used for the analysis.
? Processing Conditions: All necessary processing conditions including mould temperature, melt temperature, set fill time, pressure factor, filling profile etc.
? Results and Analysis: Full details with various diagrams, graphs, plots, tables, summary of results (use percentage increase, percentage decrease of a result when possible).
? Discussion: Discuss your results, problems faced, how they were overcome to get acceptable results, best scenario, etc.
? Conclusion: General conclusion on your work and results.
? References: List books, websites, published journal papers etc you have used to help understand the project.